2011 in Lists: Russ


I listened to a lot this year, but still not enough. I am actually still discovering records I have missed, 2011 really has had too many gems. Anyway here is my list of favourites of 2011.


1. The Antlers – Burst Apart
I really struggled to write my list this year, but two albums stood out for me on top of everything: both Wild Beasts’ and The Antlers’ offerings. The latter just edged it for me after repeated listens. I wasn’t taken in by Burst Apart at first, but on around the third listen I was hooked on it. This is the one album this year that I was initially confused by and then suddenly grabbed by. This album sees The Antlers create a huge soundscape that it is never overcrowded but always beautiful. It is really really good.

2. Wild Beasts - Smother
Had I not seen Wild Beasts late on this year, I don’t think this album would have been so high up. After seeing them live, everything about this album started making sense. Wild Beasts really are the best live band at the moment. Smother is a lush aural landscape that I couldn’t help but revisit time and time again. Closing track End Come Too Soon sums up this album for me. It is too short, but by god is it good.

3. Los Campesinos! – Hello Sadness
I’ve been a fan of Los Campesions! since Hold On Now, Youngster, but I’ve never really fully got into any of their albums. For me this has been their most complete album. I think the length fares for it better than their previous outputs, which were maybe a bit too long for the indie pop formula they are trying to nail. Songs like Hello Sadness and To Tundra show how Los Camp have grown up but haven’t lost any of their pop sensibilities. Wonderful stuff.

4. Bright Eyes – The People’s Key
Being a big fan of most things Bright Eyes have done, this was probably one of my most anticipated records of the year. It didn’t disappoint either; everything I love about Bright Eyes is on this record from the spoken word intro to the self-pitying lyrics. This record saw Bright Eyes add more synth than on their previous records and it works pretty well.

5. Wilco – The Whole Love
Wilco are consistently good, but not always brilliant. I guess that formula applies to The Whole Love: some tracks are standard Tweedy; lovely but unremarkable. But there are some absolute standouts on this album. Songs like Art Of Almost and 12 minute long closer One Sunday Morning (Songs For Jane Smiley’s Boyfriend) are just sheer brilliance. Wilco still have moments of absolute genius and that is why this record is an essential.

6. I Break Horses – Hearts

7. Real Estate – Days

8. Washed Out – Within And Without

9. Walls – Coracle

10. J Mascis – Several Shades of Why


RT

No comments: