2011 in Lists: Eoin


It’s that time of year again; a time I love and dread in equal measure. While it allows me the joy of looking back over 12 months of quite frankly brilliant music, it also means I have to pick my favourites. It’s a dilemma I face every year, like Sophie’s Choice crossed with Groundhog Day, but after literally days of deliberation, here it is: my round-up of ten great albums 2011 had to offer. It may almost be 2012, but it certainly isn’t too late to check any of them out. Enjoy…

1. The Decemberists – The King is Dead
I first heard The Decemberists on Jonathan Ross’ BBC Radio 2 show many moons ago. Since picking up a copy of The Crane Wife, they have fast grown to be one of my favourite bands. The King is Dead was, then, thankfully not a let-down. Less progressive than their previous efforts, The Decemberists have crafted a truly fantastic folk-rock album. It’s as feel-good as it is thought provoking, and showcases the best of the band throughout.

2. 65daysofstatic – Silent Running
Silent Running is, quite simply, stunning. It’s everything you would expect from a 65dos album, and more. Listening to the album is a cinematic experience in itself: the rich layers and textures paint a vibrant and immersive aural picture. It’s truly breathtaking. What more can I say?

3. Pensioner – Yearlings
Earlier this year, on a whim, I went to see Pensioner play at The Tunnels. I was on my own, and I’d never heard them before – it just seemed like a better idea than sitting alone at home. Little did I know that I would stumble upon one of my new favourite bands. Taking the album (which was tied up with some dubiously crusty string) home from the gig, I was instantly struck by how well Pensioner had managed to capture their live sound on record. Masters of song-writing, Pensioner have perfectly crafted each track, none of which outstay their welcome.

4. Sucioperro – The Heart String and How To Pull It
With a slightly poppier sound compared to their previous records, the latest offering from Sucioperro is a masterclass in how to write insanely catchy rock songs. This experimentation with the lighter side of rock, when contrasted with 2009’s much darker Pain Agency, is commendable and reveals a band willing to take risks in their quest to progress as musicians and songwriters.

5. Indian Red Lopez – Empty Your Lungs and Breathe
Although it doesn’t quite capture the atmosphere and sheer brilliance of Indian Red Lopez’s live show, Empty Your Lungs and Breathe comes pretty damn close. Sometimes thunderous and sometimes tender, this is an immensely powerful album that keeps on giving with every listen.

6. Kassidy – Hope St.

7. Vessels – Helioscope

8. The Little Kicks - The Little Kicks

9. J Mascis – Several Shades of Why

10. Maybeshewill – I Was Here For A Moment, Then I Was Gone


And, as always, there were a ton of great albums that didn’t quite make the cut. Some of them were:
Battles – Gloss Drop
Copy Haho – Copy Haho
The Fruit Tree Foundation – First Edition
Johnny Foreigner – Johnny Foreigner vs Everything
The Joy Formidable – The Big Roar
Milwalkie – Milwalkie
Twin Atlantic – Free

ES

No comments: