Lockah - Only Built 4 Neon Nites



Aberdeen's local producer/DJ/label owner has been on a wild ride. After releasing two EPs through both Mishka and Mad Decent sub label Jeffrees, Lockah was featured in The Guardian's 'Band of the Day' feature last month. And to top this all off, he gets set to release another EP through Donky Pitch, on the 18th of March.

Only Built 4 Neon Nites is a 5 track EP that features all of Lockah's signature moves. It has brilliant synth lines, big drum beats and relentless bass. But his newest venture pushes the boat out, stretching his fingers into a plethora of different genres, including juke, rap, electro and pop.

The opening track, aptly named Intro sounds like something out of Grand Theft Auto Vice City. But, I feel like it isn't needed. It fades out before the next track. If it had built up to the following track, Young Neon Countach, it would have been perfect. But it just seems like a random stand-alone song, which clocks in at less than a minute, and could have been put somewhere else in the track list.

But Only Built 4 Neon Nites carries on and reaches new heights. Young Neon Countach is along the same lines as Lockah's previous works, but at the same time, has a new vibe - the way he has cooked this one up is as new as it is delicious. This is music to drive down the strip, top down, sunglasses on, looking at girls in bikinis and roller skates. Guards Red Carrera has much the same vibe, if a little cheesier. It sounds like something a blue hedgehog would pick up gold rings to. But then out of no where this changes, the the drums get faster and I find myself throwing the strangest shapes ever. Bear in mind I'm writing this in a room full of family members. Lockah will make you dance like no one's watching, even when everyone is.

Let The Cool Air Breeze takes a new direction: in amongst the synth and drums there's a fantastic rap section. But I can't tell if what I'm hearing is someone pouring a drink or taking a whizz. Either way, it made me want to do one. And I'm not saying which.

Only Built 4 Neon Nites ends on Platinum Blonde. A track which starts off a lot more mellow, and I want, no, I need R. Kelly to make a guest spot. This is slow jams through and through. I want to sit in the back seat and make out. But sadly, as I said, I'm with my family.

Lockah's hasn't been held back by genres on his latest release. He has obviously made music he loves, and I'm sure everyone else will love this too. Lockah is one of my favourite producers at the moment, but don't let my bias phase you; this is simply some of the best dance music I have heard in a long time.


Only Built 4 Neon Nites by Lockah is out on March 18th via Donky Pitch.

JL

No comments: