Oliver Richards - D.I.V.A.


Known by many in Aberdeen as a hardworking singer-songwriter who’s never far away from an acoustic guitar, last year’s Kick & Pull came as a bit of a shock. Leaning towards the electronic end of the spectrum, the EP saw Oliver experiment with new and different sounds.

Bringing those two worlds together – the acoustic and the electronic – Oliver has crafted a new single, D.I.V.A., to be released on brand new local label Buddy Records later this month.

I’ll admit that it took me a few listens to really “get” D.I.V.A., a driving pop song built upon country-esque guitars, electric drums and mild acousto-rap. Reminiscent of the likes of Alabama 3, it’s an interesting mix that really pays off: mid-track layered vocal delays add texture to the already-engaging song.

D.I.V.A. probably won’t be to everyone’s taste, but hey what song actually is? If you like your pop catchy and a little bit different though, look no further.


D.I.V.A. by Oliver Richards is out on the 28th of January via Buddy Records.

ES

No comments: