Marilyn Manson - No Reflection


Next month Marilyn Manson will release his first album since 2009’s The High End of Low. I’ll be honest, I’m not entirely familiar with his output post-The Golden Age of Grotesque and haven’t listened to him properly since I was 18 which was a depressing amount of years ago. So my reason for reviewing this single is the wave of nostalgia that overtook me when I saw his name in my inbox. I was the kid in school with Marilyn Manson and Deftones patches on her schoolbag. I got his albums the day they came out and watched his visually eye-popping music videos premiere on MTV2.

No Reflection is an extremely catchy, rhythm-driven single that wears its influences on its sleeve. It manages to maintain a balance between the dark atmospherics you come to expect from industrial-tinged music and a clean, eighties-informed sound; this song is extremely easy to both bang your head to and dance to as well. There’s a riff here – make no mistake, this is not a pop song by any stretch of the imagination – but there is a foundation that lies outwith the traditional Manson oeuvre. In discussing the upcoming album the main man himself says that “it sort of sounds like what I listened to before I made records – Killing Joke, Joy Division, Revolting Cocks, Bauhaus, Birthday Party...” and the two key bands to pick up from that list are Joy Division and Bauhaus. What is built on this foundation is an anthem that heralds a potential return to form for the goth rocker: reminiscent of an Antichrist Superstar-era Marilyn Manson, this is something the fans have been waiting for an awfully long time. As the lead single from the up-coming album, No Reflection is a promising indicator.


No Reflection is out now on Cooking Vinyl.
LD

No comments: