Interview: Swede Mason

After MasterChef Synaesthesia became a viral sensation, video mash-up artist Swede Mason decided to unleash his creation on the record-buying public. Breaking the Top 30 on the midweek charts, things are looking great for the builder-cum-mix master.  We caught up with the man himself to chat about track the whole internet is talking about.

What inspired you to create MasterChef Synaesthesia?
I made it for a couple of mates who like the show; I said I'd have a go at making a tune for them. The first episode I watched I got the 'buttery biscuit bass' sample, then I just went through the rest of the series scouring for descriptions that could refer to bass sounds.

Have you come across any difficulties with the BBC or MasterChef’s production team in releasing the single?
We had to release the single in conjunction with Shine TV, the MasterChef production company. We then came across some difficulties. Say no more…

You’ve released many TV mash-ups on YouTube, including the Jeremy Clarkson Beatbox and the Madeley Mash. What do you think it is about MasterChef Synaesthesia that has captured the internet’s imagination?
I think it's just simple alliteration combined with people’s familiarity with the show. It's like refined MasterChef crack.

Do you feel confident that come Sunday you’ll be well within the UK Top 40 with MasterChef Synaesthesia?
It's looking likely. I should've put some money on it!

Which is your favourite mash-up that you have created?
Probably Bill Wyman's Metal Detector.

How do you source the audio and video material used in your videos?
I used to record everything I watched onto VHS tapes and reuse them again and again, hence the crap picture quality of some of the earlier videos. Now I use a Freeview+ box, or just download stuff. YouTube is also a good source.

How long does it take to create the average mash-up video?
It varies. Get in the Back of the Van took 3 hours, whilst something like the Jeremy Clarkson Beatbox can take up to a year on and off:  from having the idea, collecting the samples and putting it all together. I can only work on things for a couple of weeks at a time ‘cause they do my head in, then I have to shelve them for a bit and move onto something else.

You’ve said before that you’d love to perform a live show. Do you have a timeframe in mind? What can we expect from the show - would you get Gregg Wallace to come a perform alongside you, for example?
No I think that would be shit, sorry.  It's good that they like the tune, but I think performing it live like that would be humiliating for all concerned. I'm planning a live show with my brother who runs Dental Records. We are both drummers, and have some ridiculously ambitious ideas. We just need time to make them happen, which is a problem ‘cause we both have to work full time jobs to pay the rent on the studio and our flats.

And finally, do you have any advice for aspiring mash-up artists?
Try and develop your own style. I think there is a lot potential for the development of video remixing as a genre. Keep an open mind when it comes to sampling or remixing video. Hope and pray the copyright law is amended so we can all make some fucking money!


MasterChef Synaesthesia (Buttery Biscuit Bass) is out now on Dental Records and is available from iTunes and Amazon.
ES

No comments: