Interview: Foxy Shazam

Foxy Shazam are a band that defy description. Though often compared to the likes of Meatloaf, Queen and The Darkness, none of these comparisons do them justice. Renowned worldwide for their wild live performances, Foxy Shazam are back in 2010 with their self-titled third album. Less experimental than their previous outings, Foxy Shazam is a powerfully catchy album packed full of stunningly catchy songs. I caught up with frontman Eric Sean Nally to talk about working with Meatloaf, being an entertainer, and his views on selling out…

Despite being your third album, Foxy Shazam is your major label debut. How did the recording process differ working with a major label? Were you pushed in any particular direction, or were you allowed a free reign with regards to what should be included on the album?
We had free reign but we definitely pushed ourselves to make a bigger and better album than the one before. We never want to make the same album twice, it is our ultimate goal to become the biggest band in the world and go down in history doing what we do. I know we are a long way from that right now, but this album is the next step in that direction.

Your last album, Introducing, featured a multitude of influences, including 1930s superhero The Rocketeer. What influenced you when writing Foxy Shazam?
Evel Knievel; the smell of fresh cut grass; nice weather; food; friends; roller-coasters.

Your self-titled third album is a more straightforward, less experimental affair than your previous records. This has led to some fans taking to the forums, claiming that you have “sold out”. Others, however, have realised that Foxy Shazam are a band who evolve with each album. Do you have any comments on this? Do you have a message you’d like to pass on to those who feel you have “sold out”?
The only person an artist can "sell-out" to is themselves . If the artist is making music that he or she is personally unhappy with then they have "sold-out". There is no way that anyone outside of that could know. I have never been more proud of a Foxy Shazam record than I am of our self titled record. Sometimes late at night I take a drive around my city and I listen to our album from beginning to end. There are spots during the record I get chills up my spine and my eyes get watery. I am an artist, and I am very happy with my work. I have not sold-out.

The album seems to draw on a multitude of genres: rock, funk, soul, gospel and pop to name but a few. What kind of music do you like to listen to?
Elton John, Misfits, Van Morrison, Marvin Gaye, Andrew Lloyd Webber…

Your debut album, The Flamingo Trigger, is difficult to get hold of. Do you have any plans to re-release it, perhaps on iTunes, for those of us who would rather pay for it than download it illegally?
When the time is right, we will re-release the Flamingo Trigger ;)

And on a similar topic, what are your attitudes towards illegal downloading?
Don’t think it’s a nice thing to do.

What was it like collaborating with other artists whilst working on Meatloaf’s album, Hang Cool Teddy Bear?
It was awesome and I made a lot of new friends. It was an experience I will never forget.

Your live shows are renowned for being energetic and enthralling. How much of your onstage personas are really you, and how much is put on “just for show”?
We are entertainers, but when there is no need to entertain we are spectators.

And finally, how do you feel about coming to the UK in the near future?
Can’t wait to get back! I love it over there; it’s a very inspirational place for me. I like being a foreigner.


For more information check out www.myspace.com/foxyshazam

ES

No comments: