8track: Fiona Soe Paing

Picture the scene: you've just stepped out of the Hercules Moments DeLorean and you find yourself in the 90s. MC Hammer pants and Walkmen are all the rage. Deciding to ignore the fashion of the day, you pick up a Walkman and head home to 2012...

Over the past few months, we've been getting in touch with bands, celebrities and more to ask them to create eight-song-long mixtapes for YOU. So crack out your Walkman and enjoy...


Hailing from Aberdeenshire, electronic producer and vocalist Fiona Soe Paing is renowned for her experimental and otherworldly compositions. Often accompanied by the animations of Zennor Alexander, her breathtaking live shows are an all-encompassing experience that has seen her gain acclaim from all over the world: from BBC Radio 6 to the New Zealand Herald. This week, Fiona shares with us some of her favourite electronic tracks.

Leila - (disappointed cloud) anyway
Everyone should have Leila in their life; she should be much more widely known. She's a genius who really pushes the boundaries and goes out on a limb. I especially like this track as it has a pop sensibility about it and is dead catchy, while still being totally off the wall and out there!
[LISTEN]

Nicolas Jaar - Why Didn't You Save Me?
This gives me goosebumps on every listen. It's very soulful and atmospheric, and has really glitchy and adventurous production. It's experimental but also with a great groove and soul! I love the use of space ...mmmm! 

Fever Ray - Now's The Only Time I Know
This is dark, electro, and groovy. I love Karin Andersson's voice - what more could you want?
[LISTEN]

SBTRKT feat. Little Dragon - Wildfire
This is such a perfect pop song: really gorgeous feel-good music that makes me do a little dance and feel happy every time I hear it. Eargasmmmmmmm!
[LISTEN]

Brian Eno - Glitch
What can I say? Brian Eno: still cool, still relevant, still brilliant.
[LISTEN]

North Atlantic Oscillation - Cell Count
This is the first song I heard on the radio when I arrived back in Scotland in 2009 after being away living in London, Brighton and New Zealand for a few years. It immediately made me prick my ears up, and I am still listening to it: great electronics, great energy, and I love the mix of electro and the guitar sounds.
[LISTEN]

Open Reel Ensemble -  Music for Issey Miyake's Autum/Winter 2013 Collection
I love these warped bagpipes and weird electronics from Japan, and the clothes are nae bad an' aw. Nice to see catwalk models smiling for a change. Great fashion + inspired music = win.
[LISTEN]

Boards of Canada - Roygbiv
An actually cheery and uplifting ditty from Boards of Canada. This is not an official video, but I thought it was rather jolly!


You can find out more about Fiona Soe Paing on Facebook and listen to her music over on Soundcloud.

No comments: