8track: Night Engine


Picture the scene: you've just stepped out of the Hercules Moments DeLorean and you find yourself in the 90s. MC Hammer pants and Walkmen are all the rage. Deciding to ignore the fashion of the day, you pick up a Walkman and head home to 2012...

Over the past few months, we've been getting in touch with bands, celebrities and more to ask them to create eight-song-long mixtapes for YOU. So crack out your Walkman and enjoy...



Night Engine are a four-piece art-pop (think Bowie, Talking Heads, etc) band from London. Having only been together for just over a year they have amassed an impressive following. They've only played a (small) handful of gigs and their first single was only released earlier this week, but they've got a string of festival appearances lined up and an upcoming tour with The Joy Formidable. Very good. Here are Phil from the band's top tunes. 

D.A.F. - Kebabtrรคume
Very few songs have had this primal effect on me. By the time you’ve thought “What is this?” the drums have kicked in and ripped your face off. The chorus with the crowd vocals makes you want to learn German and go insane.

Todd Rundgren - Real Man
I’ve only recently come across this but I’ve fallen in love with it. It sounds like classic 60’s Motown smothered in phaser, and Rundgren’s voice is smoother than the bonnet of a Porsche.

Dexy's Midnight Runners - Let’s Get This Straight From the Start
I love the band and Kevin Rowland’s yearning vocal style does it for me. Someone once said his voice constantly sounds like it’s about to break and this is a great example.

David Bowie - Sound and Vision
The coolest song ever written. The production, the groove, the way he waits until mid-way through the song to even start singing are all frustratingly genius. Makes you want to write music.

Frank Zappa - G-Spot Tornado (Yellow Shark)
This orchestral version feels like a chase scene in a western. More fun than Gangnam Style.

Tom Waits - Innocent When You Dream (78)
I use to play this all the time when I was at Uni and it takes me straight back to that time whenever I listen to it. The line “Running through the graveyard/we laughed my friends and I/we swore we’d be together until the day we died” gets me every time. I wish I could write a song this good.

John Grant - Caramel
One of the best albums of the past couple of years. Heartbreaking and beautiful. The synth solo is perfect.
[LISTEN]

Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime
Possibly the greatest song ever written. For me, the chorus is like a religious experience.
[LISTEN] 

Check the band out on Facebook or Twitter, and listen to their songs on SoundCloud

No comments: