The Jukebox: Female Singers

Welcome to The Jukebox, your Friday fix of the best music new and old. Each week, a six-strong panel of Hercules Moments contributors will recommend their favourite tracks for you to soundtrack your weekend to, in a playlist centred around a chosen theme.

This week... FEMALE SINGERS

Cinnamon Girl - Friends
Perhaps I'm just a cold-hearted cynic but over the past five years, there's been a noticeable and non-declining abundance of female solo artists signed to major labels. From Florence to Jessie Ware - it's almost as if the major label's heavily manufactured pop bands of the nineties have found their contemporary equivalent in the female solo artist. However, Cinnamon Girl (or Camilla Roholm from London, when she's not going by her Neil Young inspired alias) sets herself apart with not only her very stylized image, but with her use of huge 80s synth sounds and even bigger catchy vocal hooks. With Cinnamon Girl surpassing the title of "singer" by also writing and producing all her music, my selection's bending the rules a little, but frankly I'd take her over Ke$ha any day.
Jess Cregg

Beth Orton - Stolen Car

Beth Orton was one of those discoveries I made whilst watching late night MTV2 in my teenage years. Back when it was still a music channel. I was going through a phase of maturity and I was broadening my musical grammar and vocabulary beyond the metal genre. Something about this song got me hooked; the slide guitar that is a constant presence was the first thing that attracted me, then it was the sheer beauty of Orton's unique vocal before the chorus completely bowling me over for melody and sonic beauty. If this wasn't enough the song features the most unique guitar solo I've ever heard contributed by the sublime Ben Harper. I have revisited Central Reservations on various occasions and this song is always a stand out, and as I get older the lyrics strike more chords than they did when I was 16. "Don't you wish you knew better by now, but you're old enough not to."
Tim Courtney

Amber Wilson - Raise The Alarm

Born and bred right here in Aberdeen, Amber Wilson's songwriting career was impressive as it was... But now she's gone and topped it by moving to London and touring with Bombay Bicycle Club. This is her last solo single to date, and I love the way it begins really softly and then out of nowhere explodes into this really kind of post-rocky-indie outro. All throughout the song, Amber's vocals are quite simply stunning: silky smooth and incredibly emotive. Here's hoping we get to hear more of her solo stuff very soon.
Eoin Smith

Scout Niblett - Kiss (feat. Will Oldham)

One of the greatest love songs ever written. Fact. This is a stunning, delicate and emotional performance by Scout Niblett, and it has a brilliant video to boot. Will Oldham crops up on stunt vocals here, as a great riposte to Scout's evocative siren. It's beautiful and perfect.
David Officer

Nina Simone- The Other Woman

Probably one of the most powerful and emotive vocalists ever. Picking just one song of hers was tricky since all of them are beauties, but this one really accentuates the tender side to her singing. I'm not sure how much more I can really say, so just listen to the track and let the lady speak for herself.
James MacKinnon

Tegan and Sara - I Know, I Know, I Know
The layered voices of these two lady-twins is utterly lovely. This song is the first one I heard by them (years ago on MySpace actually, it was one of my friends' profile songs!) and it stuck with me. It's kind of sad but very sweet, and it always brings a tear to my eye. 

No comments: