8track: Algernon Doll


Picture the scene: you've just stepped out of the Hercules Moments DeLorean and you find yourself in the 90s. MC Hammer pants and Walkmen are all the rage. Deciding to ignore the fashion of the day, you pick up a Walkman and head home to 2012...


Over the past few months, we've been getting in touch with bands, celebrities and more to ask them to create eight-song-long mixtapes for YOU. So crack out your Walkman and enjoy...




Algernon Doll is the brainchild of Glasgow musician Ewan Grant. His debut album Camomile was released in November and deals with the struggles of an anxiety sufferer, told through alt-folk songs based on Grant's personal troubles. Look out for this guy because he is set for big things.

Elliott Smith - Pictures Of Me
My favourite Elliott Smith song. Sums up Elliott's pop sensibilities and captures the feel of the entire Either/Or record.

Sebadoh - Not Too Amused
A song that my friends and I like to jam whilst hiding out on a Saturday night, hating the world. It has a general contempt for most humans which I think we associate with. I've also been known to cover it.

Pixies - Where Is My Mind
A song that brings back memories of when everything went wrong, I lost my youth and a couple of good friends. The haunting reverberated vocal that it ends on makes me think of lives ending way too soon and the nonsense of it all.

Arab Strap - I Would Have Liked Me A Lot Last Night
I love Aidan Moffat, I think he's my favourite lyricist and he's a great guy. This song is a picture of someone piecing together the drunken night that preceded the hangover. It's funny cause it's true and real... Also a reason why I no longer drink.

Descendents - 'Merican
I lived in Colorado for a year of my life; I used to be in love with the idea of America. As I get older, I hate what that country is doing and has done more and more. There are, however, millions of lovely American people who don't agree with what's happening. This song sums up the bad and the good perfectly.

The Presets - If I Know You
The Presets are incredible, classicaly trained songwriters who write music you can dance to. This track is my favourite to skate to and the video is brilliant.

La Quiete - Metempsicosi Del Fine Ultimo
La Quiete are an Italian screamo band (screamo in the correct sense of the genre). They are so powerful and so melodic at the same time. I saw them with The Fightback and Avast at Nice 'N' Sleazys when I was 17 and it was the greatest live music experience I've ever witnessed.

Grouper - Stuck
Liz Harris is a haunting presence who creates beautiful drones and her songs swim in them. This is the first Grouper track I heard. Back when I did a radio show in Glasgow with my friends, we would come home and stay up to 5/6 drinking and smoking till the air in the kitchen was like the inside of an exhaust. Amongst this environment, this beautiful little song was on repeat and it was the starter for some really great long conversations.

Listen to Algernon Doll's music on Bandcamp or see what he's up to on Facebook or Twitter.

No comments: