8track: Light Parades


Picture the scene: you've just stepped out of the Hercules Moments DeLorean and you find yourself in the 90s. MC Hammer pants and Walkmen are all the rage. Deciding to ignore the fashion of the day, you pick up a Walkman and head home to 2012...

Over the past few months, we've been getting in touch with bands, celebrities and more to ask them to create eight-song-long mixtapes for YOU. So crack out your Walkman and enjoy...


Light Parades are a band that play music and stuff. Built upon a rich piano sound, their brand of indie-pop is a cinematic affair that slowly builds to rousing crescendos. But that's enough about their own music; here are the tracks that they think you should hear.

Other Lives - Tamer Animals
We saw this band at Latitude festival this summer; they were a really tight unit with a beautiful alternative sound. This song stood out as it was perfect and it's one of my favourite songs at the moment.
[LISTEN]

Grizzly Bear - Speak In Rounds
I've never been a huge Grizzly Bear fan until recently, I don't know why, they just never clicked with me before. Anyway, I gave their new record a listen, and I love it. As soon as I heard this track I was hooked. Sometimes it's great to get into a band after they've released a few albums, it gives you a lot to listen to!
[LISTEN]

Katerwaul - Fear & Symmetry
What can I say about this band? Well, quite simply, they're brilliant, and it's a crime against the earholes of mankind that more people haven't heard them. This song is just a beautiful piece of music - listen!
[LISTEN]

Tall Ships - Books
I've followed Tall Ships for a while now, and this is by far their best material yet. This is my favourite song from their new record.
[LISTEN]

Dry the River - No Rest
Shallow Bed has to be one of the best debut albums of 2012. Most of the album is great - No Rest was the first song I heard off it and the pure emotion in the vocal grabbed me. Brilliant live band too.
[LISTEN]

Efterklang - Sedna
This is a really chilled track for Efterklang. I think what I love about it is that it doesn't really go anywhere, it just stays in this nice place and drifts along, which for them is rare - it's got a late night, easy listening vibe. Efterklang are amazing, and one of the best live bands I've had the pleasure of seeing. If you get the chance you must watch them!
[LISTEN]

Alt-J - Dissolve Me
Alt-J were another band we managed to see at Latitude this year. I've never seen a crowd filled with so much anticipation to see a band before; the excitement was infectious. The hype created around this band was just massive, and when they came on they didn't disappoint. This was my favourite live song, and for me, is the best song on their album.
[LISTEN]

The Maccabees - Unknow
This is a beast of a track. They were finishing their album at Rockfield Studios when we went to make ours. They seemed like really nice guys and Given to the Wild is a brilliant record from start to finish. 

Check out some of Light Parades's music on Bandcamp, or see what they're up to on their Facebook page.

No comments: