The Lake Poets - Rain


Martin Longstaff has been going from strength to strength over the last couple of years. After a string of successful gigs – including a support slot for Tom Jones – and a hell of a lot of dedication, the humble young lad from Sunderland has recently been getting the recognition he deserves.

Rain is an excellent, heartfelt and beautifully sad single. I remember hearing him play it at The Sage in Gateshead earlier this year and being really touched by it; Martin (usually accompanied by some friends) is wonderful to watch live. This song shows a degree of professionalism which is in my opinion much higher than anything he has released before, and the addition of the piano (provided by Barry Hyde of The Futureheads) and strings provide a great level of depth which sends a shiver down my spine.

What always manages to impress me with this guy is that the acoustic genre is something which has been done a lot recently, but he still manages to sound fresh and original. His incredibly distinctive voice is the thing I like most about his music.

The B-side to the single, Edinburgh is not as strong, in my opinion. I think my issue with it is the fact that it sounds a bit generic, and I don’t like the sound of the harsh consonants alongside the long ‘aaa’ sound in the chorus – “in that Edinburgh bar...” – but that’s just me. It is still a very lovely song that shows off his talent, and I wouldn’t skip it if it was on a full length album.



Rain by The Lake Poets is out on the 3rd December through Tiny Lights Recordings.

SH

No comments: