8track: Panda Su

Picture the scene: you've just stepped out of the Hercules Moments DeLorean and you find yourself in the 90s. MC Hammer pants and Walkmen are all the rage. Deciding to ignore the fashion of the day, you pick up a Walkman and head home to 2012...

Over the past few months, we've been getting in touch with bands, celebrities and more to ask them to create eight-song-long mixtapes for YOU. So crack out your Walkman and enjoy...



Scottish singer-songwriter Panda Su has been garnering fans over the last couple of years through gigging, having her song Eric is Dead featured in the Skins series 4 finale, and most recently when Alphabet Song was featured in the film House at the End of the Street, which stars Jennifer Lawrence. She makes lovely acoustic-pop music and really likes panda bears. Let's see what she likes to listen to. 

Death Cab for Cutie - Marching Bands of Manhattan
When I was 15 I stumbled across an episode of The OC. Pool parties and puberty spurts aside, it had a fairly decent soundtrack and that’s how I first discovered Death Cab For Cutie. Benjamin Gibbard is still one of my favourite lyricists today. Marching Bands of Manhattan is the opening song to their 2005 album Plans.

Warpaint - Billie Holiday
Four girls who can play their instruments and look that good at the same time? If I was quitting Panda Su and Warpaint were recruiting, I’d be first in line. Not because I fit the credentials, more because I want to date them. Plural. If I’m having a bad day, I’ll pop this on and breathe. Check out the video for this song from their Rough Trade session.

School of Seven Bells - Face To Face on High Places
Taken from their album Alpinisms, Face to Face on High Places is full of tribal beats and lush vocal harmonies from the Deheza twins. Perfect train music, especially when you’re journeying through the Scottish Highlands.

Volcano Choir - Island, IS
A collaboration between Bon Iver main man, Justin Vernon, and members of Collections of Colonies of Bees, Island, IS is all drum loops and tambourine shakes, with no cardigans in sight. 

M.I.A. - Bad Girls
If I was organising a disco at my local, I’d definitely be playing this - and I’d definitely be turning up to said disco riding on the side of a car whilst filing my nails and wearing a bright yella (sic) anorak. 

Sufjan Stevens - I Want To Be Well
Whenever someone asks me for a list of my favourite tracks, it’s a given that a Sufjan Stevens song is going to feature somewhere on the list. Today’s choice is I Want To Be Well, taken from The Age of Adz; an album said to be inspired by self-proclaimed prophet Royal Robertson, who began scribbling pictures of mythical creatures and intergalactic beings after his wife left him. If drawing doesn’t help vent your anger try charging round the house chanting the lyric ‘I’M NOT FUCKING AROUND!!’ instead and you’ll feel better in minutes.

The XX - Reunion
"Did I see you, see me, in a new light?" is a lyric I wish I’d written. There’s something so painfully simple about the songs that The XX write. Effortless beauty. Reunion is taken from their new album Co-exist.

Land of Talk - Some Are Lakes
Formed in 2006, Land of Talk hail from Montreal, Canada. Front woman Elizabeth Powell is one of my favourite female vocalists. She once told an interviewer that she’d turn up to shows on her bicycle if she had a choice as she couldn’t really afford fuel prices for the minivan every time her band were out on the road. Consequently, this song reminds me of summer. And bicycles. 


You can find out more about Panda Su on her website, listen to her music on Last FM, or watch the video for Alphabet Song here.




No comments: