8track: Funeral for a Friend

Let us take you on a magical trip back to the 90s. MC Hammer pants were all the rage and Walkmen were the height of new technology. Keeping this in mind, over the past few months we've been getting in touch with bands around the country and asking them to create a metaphorical mixtape containing, you guessed it, eight tracks!

First up we have Funeral for a Friend drummer Ryan Richards. Ryan has been with the band since its humble beginnings in 2002 and 2 EPs and 4 albums later, here they are! With a greatest hits album coming out later this year, now is a good time to be in Funeral for a Friend. So let's see what Ryan's mixtape has to offer...

Title: Escape Artists Never Die
Artist: Funeral for a Friend
Why it's here: This track would be my little introduction to the lucky recipient of my mixtape. This track says 'Hello. My name is Ryan. This is my band. Enjoy my mixtape.'

Title: My Life In The Knife Trade
Artist: Boysetsfire
Why it's here: Because it's one of my favourite records ever, quite simply. Boysetsfire were probably the first band we ever toured with that I was a huge fan of, and I remember standing sidestage in Glasgow watching them play this track and it being a real goosebump moment. Top stuff.

Title: Demanufacture
Artist: Fear Factory
Why it's here: Fear Factory were the first really heavy band I ever went to watch, when I was 15. This track was basically my introduction to loud, live music and of course the "moshpit"!

Title:
Christian Woman
Artist: Type O Negative
Why it's here: Dark.Epic.Sarcastic.Heavy. Great combo. Great tune.

Title: You Can't Bring Me Down
Artist: Suicidal Tendencies
Why it's here: 'Best Metal Album by a band who aren't really a Metal Band ever...' They should use that as a promotional sticker. Anyone who sings about Charles Manson eating fruit loops is ok in my book.

Title: Smoke and Mirrors
Artist: Salem
Why it's here: Ever kinda liked 'The Cure' but found them a bit lightweight? Me too. Then I found Salem, and found happiness.

Title: Million Dollar Love
Artist: Dub War
Why it's here: 1. Because it's Welsh. 2. Because it was groundbreaking 3. Because it still sounds amazing all these years later.

Title: Funeral for a Friend
Artist: Elton John
Why it's here: Just because...


For more information on Funeral for a Friend, check out www.myspace.com/funeralforafriend
You might also like to read our review of Your History Is Mine: 2002-2009

No comments: