8track: Hercules Moments

Picture the scene: you've just stepped out of the Hercules Moments DeLorean and you find yourself in the 90s. MC Hammer pants and Walkmen are all the rage. Deciding to ignore the fashion of the day, you pick up a Walkman and head home to 2012...

Over the past few months, we've been getting in touch with bands, celebrities and more to ask them to create eight-song-long mixtapes for YOU. So crack out your Walkman and enjoy...



Founded in 2009 by Eoin and Russell, Hercules Moments began as a simple place for two friends to post their thoughts on music online. Four years down the line it is a fully fledged online music magazine complete with editorial team - Eoin and Russ, along with editor Siobhan and head photographer Dave - and a group of brilliant contributors. To celebrate the site's 500th post the editorial team got together to produce their very own 8track. 

Biffy Clyro - Glitter and Trauma

The first time I heard this, I was listening to Infinity Land while doing my paper round. My cousin had leant me the album, which he had bought purely because he thought the cover was funny. I love the way this track builds up, layer upon layer before the massive riffs come in. It's just glorious, and has been one of my favourite songs for a long time. [E]
[LISTEN]

The Decemberists - The Wanting Comes In Waves
The Decemberists have long been one of my favourite bands, ever since I heard O Valencia! on Jonathan Ross' old Radio 2 show. The Wanting Comes In Waves is just pure magic: it showcases the band's proggy, folky sound magnificently. I love it! [E]
[LISTEN]

Manchester Orchestra - Shake It Out
It took me ages to pick a Manchester Orchestra song for this because all their songs are brilliant. I will forever be in love with Andy Hull's voice and this song shows it off perfectly. They're a super melancholy band at times but they're fantastic and every song is packed full of energy. [S]
[LISTEN]

Alt-J - Taro
These guys are one of my favourite new bands. This song is excellent and a great example of how diverse their musical influences are. Their album An Awesome Wave is also rife with different musical influences, from the sound through to the lyrics. [S]
[LISTEN]

Radiohead - Just
It has been years since I was first introduced to Radiohead via a copy of The Bends being pressed into my hands by a friend, and out of an album full of brilliant music Just was the track that stood out from the outset. Many years later and after many more listens it still grabs my attention every time with a brilliant sound bouncing between the calm and utter fury, showing exactly how to combine different instruments and guitar tracks into something far better than the sum of the parts, and an all round great track. [D]

[LISTEN]

65daysofstatic - Radio Protector
To be honest this one was a bit of a tough decision as I could quite happily replace Radio Protector with a large percentage of 65daysofstatic's other output, but this is the individual track that takes it for me (even if I may recommend their latest album We Were Exploding Anyway as my preferred album). On the surface a fairly simple piano based piece but on closer listening with a lot hidden under the surface - the blending together the traditional sounding piano parts with modern post-rock electric guitars and bass, and combining both human and sequenced drums into something that just takes on a life of its own. [D]

[LISTEN]

Sonic Youth - The Diamond Sea
Probably one of my favourite tracks ever, and the perfect closer on album Washing Machine. Coming in at just under 20 minutes, the track deteriorates from melodic verse to a sonic exploration, exploring everything Sonic Youth did so well. [R]
[LISTEN]

The National - Humiliation
It's nice to have something new. This track has become one of my favourites from The National's most recent record. Musically it hits the tones of everything The National do well and explores their more playful lyrical side with namechecks to LA Women and Guns 'n' Roses. This is some of Matt Berninger's best work in my opinion. [R]
[LISTEN]

Check Hercules Moments out on Facebook and Twitter

No comments: