8track: Fridge Magnets


Picture the scene: you've just stepped out of the Hercules Moments DeLorean and you find yourself in the 90s. MC Hammer pants and Walkmen are all the rage. Deciding to ignore the fashion of the day, you pick up a Walkman and head home to 2012...

Over the past few months, we've been getting in touch with bands, celebrities and more to ask them to create eight-song-long mixtapes for YOU. So crack out your Walkman and enjoy...



This Scottish band, based in Aberdeen and Glasgow, have been featured on Channel 4's Sunday Brunch show. Their song Feeling Grows opened up an episode Waterloo Road. They've been played on Radio 1. They've supported Calvin Harris. They've won a Scottish Alternative Music Award and an Electronic Music Maker Award. So, chances are you've either heard them or are aware of them. Let's see what frontman Steven Winton thinks we should listen to. 

Primal Scream - Loaded
An unbelievably cool track in my eyes. The opening phrase of “Just what is it that you want to do? We wanna be free. We wanna be free to do what we wanna do... We're gonna have a good time. We're gonna have a party” could basically be a motto to my life. The whole vibe of the track does it for me. Used to think it was a bit long at 7.03. Then I started partying harder and kinda clicked with the length a bit more; I never want it to end when I hear it a party.

Destiny's Child - Say My Name (Cyril Hahn Remix)
I remember hearing this in a club for the first time, in Snafu I think, and being stunned and kinda lost in it. I’m no expert on house music, far from it, but I know what I like. When I finally came around after the night out I went on YouTube and listened to it more and was immediately hooked. I love what he’s done with the vocal, so sexy, smooth. I was actually a fan of the original but this added a whole level of cool to it. 

Toe - Long Tomorrow
This is a Japanese band I have only recently been introduced to but with whom I fell in love immediately. I’m not sure if it’s a type of jazz or what, but what they are doing with the melodies and rhythms really excites me. After watching them on YouTube it looks like they have an edge to them live, which is an added bonus. I can imagine if I put this on at one of my parties there would be a few funny faces, but it’s a track I listen to a lot. The drumming towards the end blows my mind.

Nas - N.Y. State of Mind
To think Nas wrote this at the age of roughly 17 amazes me. To me Illmatic is the best hip hop album of all time. It's where Nas composes his best rhymes and it reinforces that he's the top MC for the past 25 years. When you compare it to today’s hip hop it’s almost embarrassing how good it is. There are very few who could take on Jay-Z and win, but Nas did so (albeit in 2002 track “Ether”). I have an unhealthy obsession with New York City and every time I put this on it brings me back there. I’d advise anyone who appreciates good rap music to listen to this album if they haven’t already. N.Y State of Mind is an incredible introduction to one of New York’s finest. 

Oasis - Live Forever
It’s so simple. It’s so effective. Hence why it appeals to the masses. Noel Gallagher spoke for a generation and this is my favourite Oasis song. There is nothing better than drunkenly singing “You and I we’re gonna live forever” at 4am hanging on to your best mates declaring your love for them. It’s just a complete anthem, not many bands could write a song like Live Forever these days.

Rihanna & Calvin Harris - We Found Love
Not sure if this is a guilty pleasure or not, but I honestly love this song. It has such an awesome melody, and I love what Calvin Harris has done with the vocal effect. Again, it’s simple (most great pop tunes are) but this has everything. The build-ups in the music are spot on, there's a superstar female vocal and it also comes along with great memories. It may be classed as “cheesy” but I doubt anyone can deny that this is a pop classic.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps
Karen O is an incredible singer, and again has a New York feel to her. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs are uber cool. The first time I heard Maps it struck a chord with me. “They don’t love you like I love you…” is such a strong lyric and one that anyone could use in their relationship; those words aren’t difficult, but they're so effective... When the guitars come in at about 2 minutes it just adds to the dramatic feel of the song. I tried to get a song with that drumbeat for years, but always came back to trying to sound like her – which I don’t! It’s a song that has always stayed close by me in many iPods. If a girl wrote this for me I would believe her, then probably marry her.

Prodigy - No Good (Start The Dance)
It makes me wanna rave, makes me wanna get smashed, makes me wanna fight, and it's a huge reason I chose to try my hand at being in a dance band. Granted, we’re not quite the Prodigy, but it’s something we started out trying to aspire to be like. I remember No Good came on at T In the Park in 2008 and I literally lost the plot. I was at the very front, very keen, and up for a mosh. The place went off. They are still the best live band I have seen. The energy they give out live is second to none, and No Good is certainly a highlight of the set. As per, Howlett’s samples are superb and combined with a wicked drum beat it’s probably my favourite Prodigy song. Music for the Jilted Generation is still one of my most played albums and no matter what dance floor you are at in the world, when this comes on you are guaranteed a huge reaction. It’s a showstopper for sure.

Check out the band's updates on Facebook or Twitter, or listen to their music on SoundCloud

No comments: