8track: Rachel Sermanni


Picture the scene: you've just stepped out of the Hercules Moments DeLorean and you find yourself in the 90s. MC Hammer pants and Walkmen are all the rage. Deciding to ignore the fashion of the day, you pick up a Walkman and head home to 2012...

Over the past few months, we've been getting in touch with bands, celebrities and more to ask them to create eight-song-long mixtapes for YOU. So crack out your Walkman and enjoy...

Born and bred in the Highland village of Carrbridge, Rachel Sermanni is a singer-songwriter with a lovely, distinctive voice and a talent for writing beautiful lyrics and melodies. Having released her debut album earlier this year, Rachel is currently on tour around Europe. When making her playlist she broke the rules a little by including the same artist twice, but since they were nice songs we let her off with just a slap on the wrist!

Ken Stringfellow –  Jesus Was An Only Child
Ken has been a revelatory discovery whilst we've been touring. This track and many others on his album Danzig in the Moonlight are immense.

Ken Stringfellow – Odorless, Colorless, Tasteless
Again...

Seamus Fogarty – God Damn You Mountain
I met and heard this man in Limerick. He has released his album with Fence and this song, amongst others, reminded me of Spike Milligan. It’s quirky and dark and full of solemn childishness.

Fairport Convention – Chelsea Morning 
This makes me think of the autumn sun coming through the frosted window of our upstairs bathroom, when I go into the drawer there to get my socks.

Eva Cassidy – Oh Had I A Golden Thread
I love to hear the heights she hits. It feels like she's picking you up and pinning you to the wall with her voice.

Carol King – I Feel The Earth Move
This makes me think of running down a steep, boggy hill in the Highlands and gathering pace.

Tom Waits – November
November is a month close to my heart as I am a Scorpio.

Miss Irenie Rose – River
This woman is wonderful and her songs are beautiful. Karima Francis and I both believe this song to be wonderful. A classic. 

Find out more about Rachel Sermanni on Facebook, or at her own website.

No comments: