Ólöf Arnalds ft. Bjork – Surrender

I’ve been listening to a lot of Icelandic music of late which is why I jumped at the chance to write this review. I thought I knew what I was getting in to since I’d familiarised myself with work by Sigur Rós, múm, Amiina, Jóhann Jóhannsson and Ólafur Arnalds. I expected ethereal music straddling the boundaries between post-rock and “post-classical” music inspired by glacial landscapes. I thought there might even be an electronic tinge to her music. I was wrong. Wonderfully wrong. Ólöf Arnalds’s first album seems to share a spiritual bond with Vashti Bunyan and her most recent, Innundir Skinni, is almost Appalachian.

Surrender is beautiful. A simple melody played out on the harp with Ólöf’s own delicate vocals. It almost loops back on itself, creating layers as it tip-toes into the chorus before teasing us with Bjork’s distinctive vocals halfway through. You would think they were so distinctive that they might be in danger of overshadowing the rest of the track. Thankfully, rather than overpowering Surrender they empower Ólöf’s layered vocals and perfectly complement the strings which take on an increasingly darker tone as the track progresses. There are definite comparisons to be drawn with Joanna Newsom circa Ys as the harp melodies and lilting vocals are definitely there, but Ólöf’s own vocal performance definitely won’t split audiences as much as Newsom’s can. Everyone should fall in love with Ólöf Arnalds and Surrender is as compelling a reason as any.


 Surrender  is released on 7” & Digital on 7th March via One Little Indian.

LD

No comments: