End of year list: Eoin

2010 has been, I think, a great year for music. Some of my favourite bands have upped their game, releasing stunning new albums and reminding me just why I love them. Equally, bands I’d never heard of this time last year have blown me away. Overall, then, for me 2010 has been packed full of joy, discover and invention. (See what I did there?!) Bring on 2011!

1. Foxy Shazam - Foxy Shazam
The self-titled third release from these Cincinnati-based rockers sees them take a step back from their more experimental roots to take a more mainstream approach. Their music loses none of its charm, though, and this album shows that the band aren’t afraid to evolve their sound and take risks. All in all, it’s a solid collection of stadium-sized tunes that are catchier than herpes.

2. 65daysofstatic - We Were Exploding Anyway
From the opening thuds of Mountainhead, you know you’re in for a treat: the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end, a shiver runs down your spine. Here 65daysofstatic defy genres and smash all expectations. This is what music should be.

3. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Before this year, I’d never listened to Arcade Fire. I’m not really sure why, they had just slipped under my radar. But boy am I glad I found them. The Suburbs is sublime - each of the multitude of  musicians playing an integral part in creating the band’s distinctive rich and vibrant sound.

4. Various - Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
Music is such an important part of the Scott Pilgrim universe that it would have been a crime for this album to be crap. Luckily, not since School of Rock has there been such a kick-ass soundtrack CD! From Canadian girl-band Plumtree, whose included track lent its name to the titular hero, to Beck’s inspired songs under the guise of fictional band Sex Bob-Omb, this is an album of pure genius.

5. Meursault - All Creatures Will Make Merry
It’s no secret that I love a bit of alt-folk, and this most recent outing from Meursault is no exception. It is simply beautiful, cresting and falling in all the right places and taking the listener on a journey of discovery.

6. She & Him - Volume Two

7. Vampire Weekend - Contra

8. Steven Milne - Chasing Phantoms

9. Broken Records - Let Me Come Home

10. Pulled Apart By Horses - Pulled Apart By Horses


Honourable Mentions:
Best Coast - Crazy For You, The Candle Thieves - Sunshine and Other Misfortunes, Chickenhawk - Modern Bodies, Frightened Rabbit - The Winter of Mixed Drinks, The National - High Violet, Semi Precious Weapons - You Love You, Sparrow and the Workshop - Crystals Fall, Three Blind Wolves - The Sound of the Storm

ES

No comments: